We hope you are enjoying this beautiful Autumn weather. As the season changes, we’d like to remind you of important safety and security issues related to your apartment. Thank you for your attention to these important items.
HEATER SAFETY: Please keep personal items a minimum of three (3) feet away from your apartment heaters. We recommend that you use your apartment heaters instead of portable space heaters, which may be associated with fires. If you do use a space heater, please note the following recommendations:
- Look for a safety-certification label from an independent testing organization, such as the UL mark from Underwriters Laboratories, the ETL label from Intertek, or certification from CSA International.
- NEVER operate a heater you suspect is damaged. Before use, inspect the power cord for cracks, fraying or loose connections, and broken plugs.
- Do not use extension cords or power strips with heaters.
- Keep the heater clear of all items at least 3 feet on all sides.
- Place heater on stable, level surface where it will not be knocked over.
- Never leave a heater operating while unattended or while you’re sleeping.
SMOKE DETECTOR TESTING
Please test all Smoke Detectors in your apartment each month to ensure they work.
To test the smoke detector, depress the test button. If the detector does not sound a signal, contact your Manager immediately for assistance.
CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR TESTING (present only if gas heat or cooking)
Use the same procedure indicated above for testing Carbon Monoxide Detectors.
Note: If the Carbon Monoxide Detector goes off, there may be high levels of Carbon Monoxide gas in your apartment. Immediately do the following:
- Turn off appliances or heaters which may be the source of the carbon monoxide.
- Open doors and windows to get fresh air into the premises.
- Leave the apartment.
- Contact NW Natural Gas at 1-800-882-3377 so they can test for any leaks.
- Contact your Resident Manager and advise of the problem.
WATCH FOR STREET CLEANING & NO PARKING SIGNS:
Street cleaning occurs in the Fall and on your block, you will need to move your car in order to avoid being towed by the City. If you are leaving town, check to see if street cleaning will occur in your absence and park accordingly.
Delivery companies (UPS, Fed Ex, Amazon) are able to leave packages at exterior building entries, or if the driver gains entry inside, by a tenant’s door or mailbox. We do not have control over this and packages left in common areas have at times gone missing. If you are expecting packages, we suggest that you consider requiring a signature for delivery, or arrange to pick up your package at transit stations to avoid such possibility. Please do not buzz someone in claiming to be delivery person unless you are on site to meet them.